For detailed information visit the Small World Website.
Download the Small World pdf brochure (2016-17).
Small World is a non-profit program that is operated entirely by volunteers. Small World provides a fun, comfortable environment in which International women can:
- Improve English skills
- Adjust to the Lawrence community
- Learn about American culture and customs
- Socialize with other women from diverse backgrounds
- Form lasting friendships
Women may enroll at anytime during the semester.
Classes are taught at five different levels by experienced, English-speaking teachers. All classes are taught by women. Students advance at their own pace. Classes are held on Tuesday and Thursdays from 9:00 -11:00 a.m. and coincide with the KU academic calendar. There are no classes during the summer.
KU students are not eligible to attend our English classes but are welcome to join Small World as volunteers.
- Evening Socials: Occasional gatherings to share a relaxing evening of conversation and refreshments in a private home. The socials are for women only, men and children may not attend.
- Assemblies: Special Events and gatherings to celebrate and demonstrate American customs and holidays and to share traditions from other cultures.
- Potlucks: An opportunity to share and taste ethnic food from around the world.